Tuesday, April 5, 2011

RIP Kurt Cobain

"There's good in all of us and I think I simply love people too much, so much that it makes me feel too fucking sad" -Kurt Cobain

Today, April 5, marks the 17th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's tragic and shocking death. I wasn't old enough to realize the largeness of it all when it happened, but as I grew older and fell in love with the music and the movement that Nirvana and Cobain led, I, just like everyone else, couldn't help but wonder how much more great music would be around had Cobain not put the gun to his head. His suicide reflected a troubled and overwhelmed soul that characterizes so many musicians and artists in general.  I don't think people realized the full extent of Cobain's inner struggles at the time. In retrospect, it makes his music that much more raw; all the emotion of the music is real and true and comes from somewhere honest. He was the furthest thing from a sell-out, and I think that's part of the reason I've always felt such a strong response to his music. In his own words from his death-note, "The worst crime I can think of would be to rip people off by faking it and pretending as if I'm having 100% fun".  I dare anyone to read his suicide note and not feel shivers of unbridled sadness yet simultaneous beauty and inspiration in his words:



For everyone, here's a much less well-known Nirvana song that helped me through some really down times when I was a little younger.

"And I've got this friend, you see, 
Who makes me feel and I 
Wanted more than I could steal."




P.S. Sorry Scott of Gointothestory.com for ripping off a Cobain dedication, but it had to be done.

1 comment:

  1. He died at his peak. Nirvana is one of the all-times, as was Cobain, but it also directly resulted in the worst development in music history, which was angsty teenage punk/emo music. It all goes back to people trying to be the next Cobain. Like the Beatles, there will never be another Cobain, nor another Nirvana.

    ReplyDelete